Started by RoboForex, Jan 31, 2022, 07:04 am
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
When you invest long-term and medium-term, you can face such a stock market phenomenon as additional issue of shares. Not all investors understand how it influences the capitalization of companies or their share prices, so feel vulnerable in such situations. Today's article is devoted to the details of additional issue of shares.
Under additional issue we understand issuing and selling new shares of a company in order to attract new capital. This measure is meant to neutralize negative factors that influence the economic situation of the company, to help expand the business, or to launch new projects that require investments.
A profitable company can allocate a part of the profit to reaching new goals. However, if the size of the profit is not enough or the new project requires a colossal influx of money, the company decides on an additional issue.
Another option is using loans and credits. These require extra expenses on serving them and paying off interests. This is not always profitable and increases the financial load on the company.
The influence of the additional issue on the share price is quite ambivalent. The share price may drop significantly and recovery will take quite long. However, the inflow of finance in the company generated at smaller expense will have a good influence on the company in the future.
In most cases, additional issue drives the share price down. In the future, the quotations can recover and even grow, but normally it takes quite long, several years sometimes.
The N production company had 1 million of shares in turnover that cost $1 each. Hence, the capitalization of the company reached $1 million. The board of directors and the stock meeting decided to attract additional investments sized $500 thousand. The money was necessary for building a new plant and expanding production to enter new markets.
Loaning money or issuing bonds is hardly profitable: as you remember, loans and interests must be paid off. So, they only could issue 500 thousands of new shares.
After clearing out all legal procedures and the issue itself, the shareholders in the first place were offered the issued shares. They bought 75% of the new shares, and the remaining 25% got to the stock market.
In the end, Company N got the necessary investment for development and the shareholders got extra shares to their portfolios. Over the first three years, the dividends were decreased but after the new plant was built and put into operation, dividend payments doubled.
The advantages are:
The drawbacks would be
If you are a large shareholder, you will have the right to buy new shares in the first place. Decide if you need it after carefully studying the financial reports of the company and the reasons for the additional issue. In certain cases, it would be better to sell the shares of the company and avoid losses.
If you are a small investor who holds just several shares of the company in their portfolio, you have the following options:
I do not look at the additional issue of shares as at a totally negative event. An investor should study the financial reports of the company carefully and find out why the company has decided on additional issue of shares.
If the financial situation is good, the additional issue may signal about a new stage in the development of the company and higher investment yield in the future.
Moreover, remember that each case is unique: what can be good for one company does not necessarily do good to another one.
Invest in American stocks with RoboForex on favorable terms! Real shares can be traded on the R StocksTrader platform from $ 0.0045 per share, with a minimum trading fee of $ 0.5. You can also try your trading skills in the R StocksTrader platform on a demo account, just register on RoboForex and open a trading account.
The post What Is Additional Issue of Shares and How Does It Influence Investments? appeared first at R Blog - RoboForex.
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 14 queries.