forex.pm forex forum binary options trade - Binance - Сryptocurrency exchanges - Sent funds to ColdCard BIP 32 address, how can I transfer them out to a different address?
  • Welcome to forex.pm forex forum binary options trade. Please login or sign up.

Sent funds to ColdCard BIP 32 address, how can I transfer them out to a different address?

Started by Bitcoin, Mar 02, 2022, 03:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitcoin

Sent funds to ColdCard BIP 32 address, how can I transfer them out to a different address?

The Setup

I purchased a genuine ColdCard, verified its authenticity, set it up, backed up my key and all that good stuff. I then wanted to transfer some BTC from an exchange but I was being paranoid and did not want to even connect a MicroSD from my computer to my ColdCard so in order to get the address to send my BTC to, I did the following from the ColdCard:

Advanced -> Address Explorer and then I picked the first address that showed up out of the 4 options. This first and second address both began with 1 which I now think means it is a "Legacy" type address (but I didn't know that at the time). The addresses I picked (the first option) also use the derivation path of m/0/0, m/0/1, m/0/2, etc. so I think this means they are BIP 32 addresses.

Now I do have a watch-only wallet that I created in Electrum by just importing the raw addresses from my ColdCard via QR codes so I can see the transactions that came to my ColdCard. However, I am now trying to move them out to another address and I'm struggling...

The Problem

The issue is that when I export my Electrum wallet from ColdCard, even when I select the "Legacy" option, the addresses is shows start with derivation paths m/44'0'/0'/0/0, m/44'0'/0'/0/1, m/44'0'/0'/0/2 (so I think these are BIP 44 addresses).

As I mentioned above, I want to spend these funds / transfer them out to a different wallet but I now appear to be stuck...

Since my exported "Electrum" wallet from the ColdCard doesn't include the BIP 32 addresses, I cannot see my transactions sent to those BIP 32 addresses in that wallet so I also cannot create an unsigned transaction (AFAIK) for those funds.

I tried creating an unsigned transaction from my watch-only wallet in Electrum and I can create one and export it as a PSBT (at least it looks like one... I am not sure how to independently validate it). Unfortunately, when I import that PSBT into the ColdCard and use the "Ready to Sign!" option, it fails to sign it with the following error:

Failure
We require subpaths to be specified in the PSBT

How do I spend funds that were sent to my ColdCard via BIP 32 addresses? Do I need to load my private key into Electrum (and thus not be air-gapped) or is there some other reasonable option? This has been quite frustrating and I'm kicking myself for not exporting the Electrum Skeleton Wallet first...

My ColdCard firmware is 3.1.9

Source: Sent funds to ColdCard BIP 32 address, how can I transfer them out to a different address?