forex.pm forex forum binary options trade - Binance - Сryptocurrency exchanges - How does Bitcoin Core manage its peer nodes? Is it possible to let it automatically switch to faster nodes?
  • Welcome to forex.pm forex forum binary options trade. Please login or sign up.

How does Bitcoin Core manage its peer nodes? Is it possible to let it automatically switch to faster nodes?

Started by Bitcoin, May 13, 2022, 08:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitcoin

How does Bitcoin Core manage its peer nodes? Is it possible to let it automatically switch to faster nodes?

It's usually frustrating when my Bitcoin Core full node is syncing, especially just catching up from merely several hours/days ago.

I wonder how does Bitcoin Core manage its peers? Will it disconnect with slower nodes, and then turn to faster ones?

I once heard of the eclipse attack issue. However, as far as I know, Bitcoin Core syncs the block headers first, then it will always download full block data. It doesn't seem to hurt if Bitcoin Core could behave in such way (switching to faster nodes) when it's downloading blocks.

EDIT: According to my rough observation, fast nodes often seemed to be "stuck", as long as slow peers were still not disconnected, in other words, manually disconnecting slow peers often seemed to "accelerate" the syncing process.

Is that merely some sort of illusion, or a real phenomenon? Will manually disconnecting nodes introduce any risk?

Source: How does Bitcoin Core manage its peer nodes? Is it possible to let it automatically switch to faster nodes?