forex.pm forex forum binary options trade - Binance - Сryptocurrency exchanges - How can I obtain a better understanding of the P2P messages between my full node and its peers?
  • Welcome to forex.pm forex forum binary options trade. Please login or sign up.

How can I obtain a better understanding of the P2P messages between my full node and its peers?

Started by Bitcoin, Feb 19, 2022, 06:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitcoin

How can I obtain a better understanding of the P2P messages between my full node and its peers?

I am interested in how my full node interacts with its peers, what messages it exchanges (e.g. gossip about other nodes on the network, transactions, blocks) and why my full node disconnects with certain peers (is it my full node making the decision to disconnect or the peer?).

I know there is an open PR from Troy Giorshev (also covered in this Bitcoin Core PR review club) to make some of this possible to do within Bitcoin Core. What insights will I be able to garner from using this tool? For example will I be able to work out why a peer disconnected (e.g. because it went offline, because my full node was asking for too much information/too demanding, because I sent it transaction(s) it wasn't interested in?) What is possible currently with this PR and what is possible for future improvements of this tool?

(Also will playing around with this tool let me answer this question on falling back unnecessarily on DNS seeds?)

Source: How can I obtain a better understanding of the P2P messages between my full node and its peers?